BMW 3 Series E30
since 1983-1994 release
Repair and operation of the car
+ 1. Maintenance instruction
+ 2. Maintenance
- 3. Engine
+ 3.1.2. Specifications
+ 3.2. Dismantle and capital repairs of the engine
- 3.3. Engine electric equipment
3.3.3. The battery - launch of the engine in emergency situations
3.3.4. Removal and installation of the battery
3.3.5. Power cables
- 3.3.6. System of ignition
22.214.171.124. Check of system of ignition
126.96.36.199. Check and installation of the moment of ignition (only for the TCI system)
188.8.131.52. Ignition distributor
184.108.40.206. Ignition coil
220.127.116.11. Shaper of impulses and block of electronic ignition
18.104.22.168. A gap in the shaper sensor (TCI system)
22.214.171.124. Sensors of system of ignition
+ 3.3.7. System of a charge of the battery
+ 3.3.8. System of launch of the engine
3.3.9. Malfunctions of the generator
3.3.10. Main malfunctions of electric equipment
+ 4. Cooling system
+ 5. Heating and ventilation
+ 6. Fuel system
+ 7. Exhaust system
+ 8. Transmissions
+ 9. Coupling
+ 10. Brake system
+ 11. Running gear
+ 12. Body
+ 13. Electric equipment
+ 14. Useful tips
The system is contactless, shaper of starting impulses, block of electronic ignition, coil and spark plugs are a part of system of this type. The block of electronic ignition is arranged according to the scheme of the capacitor store and works from the impulses arriving from the shaper. The gap in the induction sensor of the shaper of impulses is regulated (see subsection 126.96.36.199).
The electronic processor block (ECU-blok) operates work of system of ignition of this type. ECU-blok provides automatic adjustment of a corner of an advancing of ignition according to signals from sensors which trace various parameters of the engine. The distributor of ignition of this system provides only separate giving of high voltage on candles and is mounted on a head of cylinders.
Automatic control of the moment of ignition is provided by comparison of data with reperny. Sensors of a defined point of the moment of ignition and speed of rotation of the crankshaft which are mounted over a flywheel on the left side of the engine are provided in the early Motronic systems. One sensor which unites both of these functions, mounted on a crankshaft pulley is provided in the late Motronic systems.
When performing checks and repair of system of ignition it is necessary to follow the following safety rules.
1) In the TCI system check reliability of connection of the block of ignition with a weight.
2) At connection (+) – a conclusion of a tachometer has to be connected with (-) – a conclusion on the ignition coil, connection to the distributor of ignition is forbidden.
3) Do not allow a contact of conclusions of the coil of ignition with a weight. Otherwise failure of the block of electronic ignition and the coil is possible.
4) At refusal of launch of the engine or on the idle engine do not leave ignition included for a while bigger 10 minutes.